ALDACTONE 100 MG
Aldactone contains the active substance spironolactone. Aldactone belongs to a group of medicines called ‘diuretics’ – you may know these as ‘water’ tablets.
• Treatment of a kidney problem which causes excessive fluid in the body – (Nephrotic syndrome)
• Treatment of accumulation fluids beneath the skin or other body cavities which cause swelling – (Oe-dema)
• Treatment of excessive fluid containing cancer cells that collect in the abdomen – (Malignant ascites)
• Treatment of extra body fluid caused by too much of a hormone called “aldosterone” – (Primary al-dosteronism)
• Congestive cardiac failure
• Nausea. stomach upset
• Confusion. dizziness
• Menstrual problems in women
• Change in sex drive for both men and women (libido)
• Disturbances in body electrolytes
• Reduced number of cells that fight infection – white cells (leukopenia). reduced number of cells that help with clotting (thrombocytopenia)
• Excessive growth of breast tissue in men (gynaecomastia. this goes away when treatment is stopped). breast lumps. breast pain
• Skin rash. generalised itchiness
• Skin allergy with development of itchiness and weals (urticaria). excessive hair growth (hypertricho-sis). skin condition presenting with fluid-filled blisters (pemphigoid)
• Hair loss
• General weakness. muscle or leg cramps
• Sudden kidney failure or abnormal liver function
• Raised potassium in the blood (hyperkalaemia)
Note: Tell your doctor immediately if you experience any of the following symptoms after taking this medi-cine. Children with moderate to severe kidney disease must not take Aldactone. Aldactone reduces your re-sponsiveness to noradrenaline. If you are going to have an operation where you will be given an anaesthetic. tell the doctor in charge that you are taking Aldactone.
Recommended dose: This medicine should be taken once a day with food.
The adult dose varies from 25mg to 400mg spironolactone a day. depending on the condition being treated.
If you are giving Aldactone to a child. the number of tablets you give will depend on the child’s weight.
Aldactone® 100 mg
SPIRONOLACTONE (100 mg/tablet)
ALDACTONE 100 MG